Friday, February 5, 2016

Sensory toys: sound

Sound is a funny thing if you think about it. We can detect so many different frequencies and intensities with our ears. The same note can sound vastly different when played by a flute than by a cello or even a piano.

I decided to make a quick sensory shaking toy for my daughter. I got a 12-pack bead holder from my local craft store. I made sure to get the screw-top ones so it would be harder for her to open.

I also got some beads: rainbow beads and letter beads.

When I got home, I gathered some more materials: some seed beads, some metal clasps, a pipe cleaner, some lace, and a few rocks from outside.

Then I filled each one with a different material. I tried to use different things in each one, and I even filled a few with poly-fil so it would look full, but not make a sound. Just a few little things for baby to explore.

She likes it! She likes stacking and shaking them, especially the one filled with rice. She also likes putting them back in the box they came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment