Monday, February 23, 2015

Time to Geek Out!

My name is Liz, and I'm a medical illustrator and a mom to a beautiful 5 month old girl. I learned to sew the summer before her birth, and I've been busying myself with sewing projects in-between jobs. I'm on a mission to change the way young kids, especially girls, see STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) subjects.

It started back when I was pregnant and began buying clothes for my baby girl. I noticed a discrepancy between boys' and girls' clothes. All the girls' clothes I could find were frilly, pink, and covered with objects like cupcakes, flowers and animals like kitties and bunnies. These are fine, but when that's ALL I could find for my girl, I soon found myself rifling through the boys' clothes, looking for dinosaurs, puppy dogs and outdoorsy clothing. Something seems wrong with this picture. Girls enjoy outdoors, puppy dogs and dinosaurs, right? These things can be pink and frilly, too!

So now in addition to making awesome crafted things, I'm on a mission to make cute kids clothes that re-define the way kids think about science and math.

No comments:

Post a Comment